Turning to joy to navigate hard times, with Richard Sheridan
Menlo Innovations CEO Rich Sheridan became disillusioned in the middle of his career in the chaotic technology industry. He had an all-consuming thought: things can be better. Much better. He had to find a way. Why couldn’t a workplace be filled with camaraderie, human energy, creativity, and productivity?
Ultimately, Rich co-founded Menlo Innovations in 2001 to end human suffering in the workplace. His unique approach to custom software creation is so surprisingly different, that 3,000 people a year travel from around the world just to see how they do it.
His passion for creating joyful work environments led to his bestselling and widely celebrated book, Joy, Inc. – How We Built a Workplace People Love. His highly anticipated second book, Chief Joy Officer, came out December 4, 2018 and will continue to prove that a positive and engaging leadership style is actually good for business.
What you will learn from this episode:
- Richard shares the story of Menlo Innovations and its focus on ending human suffering in the workplace by spreading joy
- What the 5000+ visitors to Menlo Innovations have seen that sets the company’s culture in a league of its own
- How the global pandemic has impacted Menlo Innovations, and how their powerful culture helped them make the transition to being a 100% virtual office
- How the team adapted to using remote work tools like Zoom and were able to maintain their unique culture even remotely
- How the team developed a sequence to navigate the crisis: survive, adapt, sustain, emerge stronger, and thrive again
- How the outbreak of the pandemic took Richard by surprise and was difficult to adapt to, and why it’s natural to struggle through difficulties
- Why Richard wrote Chief Joy Officer, the follow up to Joy, Inc., and what important topics he covers in the new book
- Why the intentionally joyful culture at Menlo is helping the organization maintain optimism through these difficult times, and why joy isn’t the same as happiness
- Why Richard feels the two strongest aspects of the culture at Menlo are that the team actually believes in it and that they want it to survive
- How Richard equates leading a business with flying an airplane, with forces of lift vs. weight and thrust vs. drag applying to businesses too
- Chief Joy Officer by Richard Sheridan: https://amzn.to/2XSv1KW
- Email: [email protected]
- Schedule a tour of Menlo: email [email protected] or visit https://menloinnovations.com/tours-and-workshops/factory-tours
- Website: https://richardsheridan.com/
- Website: https://menloinnovations.com/
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/menloprez/
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/menlo-innovations/
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/menloinnovations/
- Twitter: @menloprez
Attract all the right-fit clients you need
LIVE from 8:30am to 12 Noon Central
Wednesday, June 22, 2022
The Sell with Authority Podcast is for agency owners, business coaches, and strategic consultants who are looking to grow a thriving, profitable business that can weather the constant change that seems to be our world’s reality.