Nancy Marshall is known as The PR Maven(R), after having worked in public relations for 30 years. She recently published her first book called PR Works!
Subscribe to Onward Nation!
Why did you write your book?
Nancy wrote my book to position herself as an expert — and was able to give away her knowledge like Jay Baer said to do in episode 305.
Are you glad you wrote the book?
“It’s the best business card ever!”
What is the most critical skill for getting your book done?
Create an outline and make it as detailed as possible.
What has been your proudest moment as a business owner?
This past year is the 25th year of Nancy’s agency — and Nancy was invited into the state legislative chambers where her agency was recognized. AWESOME!
How did you convince yourself to let someone take over running your agency — and what have the benefits been?
Nancy hired someone 20 years ago part-time to read newspapers from her home. She did everything so well that Nancy begged her to join her full-time and eventually became the president of Nancy’s agency.
What’s one secret you can share to help move businesses onward?
- Create your most-wanted media list (20-30)
- Start following those media
- Try to identify the angles you would use with those journalists
- Pick up the phone and call journalists with your pitch
- Build a media kit
- Do media training in your business
- Submit letters to the editor
- Do media follow-up
How best to connect with Nancy:
- Agency website: http://www.marshallpr.com
- Personal branding website: prmaven.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org