Episode 733: Proactive strategies to address gender bias, with Al Harris
Al Harris was a founding partner of the Chicago law firm of Ungaretti & Harris, which in 2015, merged with the national law firm of Nixon Peabody. At Ungaretti & Harris, he served for many years as managing partner and then as a member of its Executive and Compensation Committees. Al is co-author with his wife, Andie Kramer, of the book Breaking Through Bias: Communication Techniques for Women to Succeed at Work, which was named one of the best business books of 2016 by Women@Work. He is also the co-author of over 150 articles and blog posts on promoting diversity and overcoming stereotypes and biases.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Why Al and his wife Andie were committed to writing “Breaking Through Bias”
- How many well intentioned businesses often times have unconscious biases
- The importance of overcoming the affinity bias
- How the negative bias pigeonholes women
- How the agentic bias affects women in the workplace
- Why every business must assume that some level of gender bias is occurring within their organization
- The best way to try to reduce gender bias within your company
- The importance of being careful when making decisions that affect people’s careers
- The value of having two different individuals perform evaluations
- Why when making career affecting decisions you should compare individuals against each other
Subscribe to Onward Nation!
Ways to contact Al: