How to identify your point-of-view, with Drew McLellan
You may have heard me recently talking about point-of-view (POV) — why it is so important — and what can happen to a business if the owner doesn’t get serious about defining it — and building a strategy around it.
Without a clearly defined POV, you will not be able to attract or retain the clients and prospects you want — and your biz dev strategy will suffer as a result.
But…if you and your team do the hard work to gain clarity around your POV…why you do what you do…who you do it for…and for whom you don’t do it for…you will be able to attract the clients and prospects to your business who are exactly aligned with the sweet spot of your business.
Originally, I considered making today’s episode a solocast — where it would be just you and me exploring a topic without a guest. But — I changed my mind because I wanted you to have the benefit of getting some additional perspectives on this very critical topic…and I wanted you to get the perspectives from someone who has a real depth of knowledge not only in point-of-view and why it matters, but in business development, and in branding.
So my guest for today’s episode is Drew McLellan. You may remember Drew from several other Onward Nation episodes — in fact…this is Drew’s 5th visit to Onward — more than any other guest.
Drew is one of my most influential mentors — and — he works in the trenches with my leadership team and me helping us build and scale Predictive ROI. Without a doubt…his insights, knowledge, and wisdom have been critical to our success over the last five years.
Drew is the CEO at Agency Management Institute and has owned and operated his own marketing agency over the last 23 years. He has written two books and has been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Entrepreneur, Fast Company, and Fortune Small Business. The Wall Street Journal called Drew’s blog “One of the 10 blogs every entrepreneur should read.”
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Why every business has a point-of-view — whether they have identified it or not
- How the brand of the business is grounded in the “why” the company exists
- How the process of gaining clarity around the POV of the business should be collaborative
- The questions you and your team should ask each other during the process of defining your POV
- Why business owners should then take their POV and “plant their flag” with it by producing cornerstone content that cements their flag in firm ground
- Why true thought leaders are more than one-trick ponies — their content is available across multiple channels
- Why your content strategy needs to be channel agnostic
- What it means to be “intentional” about creating content around your POV
- How great marketing “repels” customers you would never been able to make happy
- How business owners can increase their opportunity for success by creating a POV that enables them to niche down
Ways to contact Drew:
Fill Your Sales Pipeline Q&A
LIVE Wednesdays at 1:00 pm Eastern / 12 Noon Central
The Sell with Authority Podcast is for agency owners, business coaches, and strategic consultants who are looking to grow a thriving, profitable business that can weather the constant change that seems to be our world’s reality.